June 7, 2007

Faux Antiqued Pewter

I was cataloging my new stamps and decided to turn this one into a paper cast. It's a great stamp by After Midnight. Here's how I did it for those who haven't tried it yet.


1. Lay rubber stamp down on table.

2. Spray with water.

3. Lay a single layer of toilet tissue over the stamp. With a soft paint brush, gently push the tissue into the crevices on the stamp.

4. Mix white glue with water (I think I diluted it about 50-50).

5. Lay another single layer of toilet tissue over the first. Dip the paint brush into the glue-water mixture and gently push the tissue into the crevices.

6. Continue this process until it's as thick as you want it. There are 5-10 layers, on this cast.

7. After it is dry, remove it from the stamp. It may curl or warp a little.

8. Mount on a piece of mat board. I ran it through my Xyron adhesive machine, but you could use double sided tape or a glue stick. I think I would avoid a wet adhesive at this point.

9. Paint the cast and the mat with black acrylic paint. I just used inexpensive craft paint this time.

10. When dry, apply silver Rub 'n Buff. Let is set, then buff it with a paper towel.

Use on a card or on the front of a journal or on a paper mache box.

1 comment:

France said...

That's really nice!!!
You can also paint with Black Gesso if you want more tooth than paint! Love your sample!